Monday, December 28, 2020

Expat Oma Sourdough

This particular pedestrian decided to share the wealth with friends.  

Here is what I can bake reasonably well so far: 

1) Europa's Dream:

This is the one that started it all. 

A white/wheat Tartine style bread with a crunchy crust.  It reminds me of some of the crusty white breads I had in Germany.  I have tried importing them for years, but they never survive the flight without getting gummy. So I just had to learn how to make these myself.  


Ingredients: 

Flour (white and whole wheat), water, salt,  and naturally leavened sour dough.  

(No sugar or commercial yeast added)





2) Demeter's Delight

Living in the US, the real trick is to find a loaf that contains lots of grains but is not sweet! I don't understand what molasses has to do with bread.  Enter Demeter's Delight, a white/wheat Tartine style bread with added harvest grains.  A savory loaf with a nutty quality. 
















Ingredients: 

Flour (white and whole wheat), water, salt, harvest grains blend (whole oat berries, millet, rye flakes, wheat flakes as well as flax, poppy, sesame and sunflower seeds) and naturally leavened sour dough.  

(No sugar or commercial yeast added)





3) Gaia's gift

This one is my favorite so far.  If  I had to be marooned on an island and I'd have to choose one food for the rest of my life, this one would be it.  It's a super-dense whole grain loaf that tastes great without anything, toasted with a little butter or - if you insist - with a meat topping and/or a cheese of your choice.  If you can't eat this one in one setting, it freezes like a dream. I prefer slicing it before I freeze.  I pull out one slice at a time, toss it in toaster and - heaven!



Ingredients: 

Flour (white and whole wheat), water, salt, Gaia's grains blend (rye, bulgur, oats, buckwheat, groats, millet, wheat bran, flax and sunflower seed) and naturally leavened sour dough.  

(No sugar or commercial yeast added)



No comments:

Post a Comment